Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Tuesday, 9/13/05

Greetings all:

Today was another hot but rewarding day. Bob and I take two trips per day into Biloxi, MS mainly to deliver cots and blankets. The residents are all tired but happy to be alive. The entire neighborhood was under 10 ft. of water. There are piles of stinking household furniture, etc. that are at the curb. I hope it doesn't rain anytime soon it will just get worse. It would be tough here if you had asthma with the high amount of mold.

This continues to be extremelly rewarding as people are so greatful to be able to sleep above the ground or not on a soggy mastress after two weeks.

Bob and I have moved into the staff shelter at the Seabee Naval Base. A good decision.

There are about 400 staff members and other relief workers all bunked out in a huge warehouse with huge fans to muffle all body noise. The ultimate in white noise. Wonderful hot showers, my first in a week. The meals are terrific. Last night Mexican and tonight Italian. Plenty of salad.
With the hot showers I almost have my fingernails cleaned. Really need a manicure.

In the past two days Bob and I have taken a RC worker from Spain with us to the neighborhoods. Great experience. Begonia and Renaldo have both been involved in logistics with international emergencies.

We've distributed over 200 cots and blankets. As we leave we get hugs and 'I love you guys' from many. I met a former NFL player today, Antoine Jackson, who played fpor the 49ers years ago. He lived in the area and was being followed by NBC News. Maybe I'll be on the national news tonight.

My portable radio continues to be my connection with the outside world. I've enjoyed listening to call in shows from New Orleans. Last night I fell asleep listening to an oldies staion. I woke up at 1:00 am with the song Turn, Turn Turn, by the Byrds. That is taken from Ecclesiates, "To everthing there is a season". That seems to be very providential. I'll need more time to process that.

An observation from the front; DO NOT SEND CLOTHES. There are piles of clothes sitting in parking lots that will rot from the first rain. I know that it makes someone feel good by cleaning out their attic and sending clothes to the hurricane victims but they have dignity too. They should be able to buy clothes and not pick out someone's used t shirts.

Time to head to the shelter, shower and eat dinner.

Love to all.

Bob in the Gulf

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home